In Mentor Texts: Models for Reading Strategies and Writer’s Craft, Aimee Buckner takes viewers into her 4th grade classroom, where children’s literature, student texts, and Aimee’s own writing serve as mentor texts in daily literacy workshops. The 90 minute video features two programs, one on mentor texts in the writing curriculum, and the second detailing how the strategy of rereading can be taught using a whole-class shared mentor text. Highlights of the video include:
- Sample lessons linking mentor texts and writing notebooks;
- Differentiated small-group instruction;
- Numerous individual conferences in reading and writing workshops;
- A range of nonfiction and fiction texts;
- Techniques for teaching writer’s craft strategies like the “Rule of 3”; and
- An in-depth study of reading instruction in whole-class, small-group, and individual teaching contexts.
Aimee Buckner has taught children in grades 3-6, lead literacy initiatives locally and regionally, and is currently teaching 4th graders at Brookwood Elementary School in Georgia. She speaks at national conferences and is the author of Notebook Know-How.
You can watch a brief preview of the start of the video below. Please be aware that the quality of web video is significantly lower than that of the published DVD:
Paying with a purchase order or check? Click here to download an order form.
Classic Classroom members receive a 20% discount off list price and Literacy Leadership members receive a 40% discount for online credit card orders only. Purchase a membership or log into your account to preview savings.